Thursday, October 19, 2006

Further Instructions (S:3,E:3)

1) We start the episode in Locke’s eye. He’s laying in the jungle a bit disoriented. Desmond seems to run by him, but Locke, for some reason cannot speak. Locke goes back to the camp and begins building a sweat lodge, and asks Charlie to stand guard.

2) I had heard rumors about a character that died was going to come back to act as a spiritual guide to Locke (who’s back-story would be further revealed). I had a feeling it would be Boone. We saw Locke take the hallucinogenic fruit into the sweat lodge. Soon after, Boone appears, and tells Locke that someone in his vision needs his help. Through the vision, Locke realizes that he must clean up his own mess and that he must rescue Eko. Upon exiting the sweat lodge…Locke regains his ability to speak.

3) The Sweat Lodge involves a personal experience. While I lived in Arizona, I had a close friend out there. He was part of a group of Cherokee’s that migrated south and had a reservation in Arizona (Navajo and Hopi reservations are more prominent in Arizona). I participated in a sweat lodge with my friend, his father, and two other close friends of his. The fire was outside of the hut, across from the door. Red hot rocks would be pulled from the fire and placed in a small hole in the middle of the hut. Then water was poured on the rocks. I’m sure there was some sort of herb in the water, as the water was oddly fragrant (or the herbs were placed right on the rocks, for all I remember). We probably didn’t follow all the necessary protocols. I’ve read that you are usually either in silence, or chanting together. We were in deep conversation. What I saw (or thought I saw) was deeply spiritual. Whether they were visions, or me wanting so much to see visions, I don’t know. But, to this day, I keep what I saw in there close to heart, and have never shared it. Not sure how long I was in there…but when I came to (with a monstrous headache) a couple of people had also awoken and my friend’s father spoke to me. I was given the life symbol of the bear (he was the turtle, my friend was the lizard). I have to go back and check the exact significance…but the bear symbolizes spirituality, inner-strength and maternal instinct. I entered the sweat lodge as a human…I left the sweat lodge as a bear. Interestingly, I discovered something recently that my nickname “Mangy” (man-jee) is similar to Bear in Siberian dialects, mangi. It means “Spirit of Ancestors” in other dialects. Anyway…Why is this significant? When Locke exited the sweat lodge, we saw the image of the wolf…The Hunter. Locke is not a Farmer…he is a Hunter.

4) The fact that Locke lost his ability to speak, but gained it back gives us a glimpse into his mental issues. I’m more convinced than ever that his paralysis was psychosomatic. His inability to speak sure was.

5) So Locke became a Tree-Hugger. The back-story didn't reveal much, other than to confirm that Locke is easily tricked. We kinda knew this with everything his father did to him. Looks like the pot helped out his anger issues. Funny thing is...right before the kid said "What are you going to blow up?" I was thinking the greenhouse was either for pot, or for a bomb. In the end, the kid/cop straight up tells Locke that he was chosen by the cops, because he would be the easiest to dupe. Then he tells Locke that Locke doesn't have what it takes to shoot him. Sure enough...Locke doesn't.

6) Another rumor I heard was that the implosion of the hatch gave one of the three within the hatch special powers, similar to one of the powers on the new show Heroes. Well…there’s a guy on Heroes…he’s a painter. His paintings are an oracle of the future. And now it seems that Desmond can see into the future. He told Hurley of a speech from Locke that didn’t happen until later.

7) And now we get an introduction to two new survivors that will play bigger roles in the show. Paulo and Nikki. Not much info on them yet. But, I would expect flashbacks from them at some point this season.

More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home